Coronavirus update

Please visit our dedicated webpage for the latest information on our response to coronavirus.

Home improvements for customers with disabilities

If you need changes to be made to your property to improve your comfort and independence, we may be able to help.

If you rent a home under social or affordable tenancy, we can fund and carry out certain types of property improvements, known as 'aids and adaptations', to help if you have a disability or long term health condition.

If you are a leaseholder or own your home, you may be able to get support for making changes to your home from your local authority.  If you live in Suffolk County Council area please read about our Home Improvement Agency.

Our aids and adaptations policy

Because we have limited funding available to make property improvements, we assess applications against our aids and adaptations policy to ensure fairness and consideration of individual circumstances.

We also consider the scale of the changes needed. Minor adaptations, likely to cost less than £1,000, can often be carried out as part of our normal repairs service for tenants. Major adaptations (over £1,000) require an assessment from an occupational therapist to ensure that the requested changes are appropriate and meet your individual needs. We will also carry out our own appraisal of the requested changes on your home. We will make a decision and inform you after these reports have been received and assessed.

How to make an application

Minor adaptations

If you believe that the change you need to your home is likely to cost less than £1,000, you can simply request this as a repair booking.

Major adaptations

If the changes you need are likely to cost more £1,000, please contact us first and your housing officer will get in touch to discuss your needs. They will contact you within five days of receiving your request.